Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

State Council for Persons with Disabilities


Financial Assistance

Image of a human's head and the words 'Application for Brain Injury Fund Assistance' underneath.

Are you looking for financial assistance for a traumatic brain injury survivor? Peruse the list of programs and services below that can help provide financial support for traumatic brain injury survivors. Eligibility varies from provider to provider so please contact the individual providers to see if you or your family member are eligible for their services. Don’t forget to ask physicians, hospital social workers, and other professionals about available financial assistance in Delaware.

Delaware Benefits & Programs

The Delaware Department of Health and Social Services website contains a wealth of information on the Delaware Prescription Assistance Program.

The Delaware Medicare Assistance Bureau (DMAB) provides free health insurance counseling for people with Medicare, including those under 65 years of age. Call DMAB at 800-336-9500 or (302) 674-7364 to set up a free counseling session with a trained volunteer at a convenient site near you.

MEDICAID: Medicaid provides health insurance for eligible low-income children and adults. Services are coordinated through Delaware Health and Social Services, Division of Medicaid and Medical Assistance (DMMA). In Delaware, call (800) 372-2022 or apply online through Delaware ASSIST.

Delaware Division of Vocational Rehabilitation: Provides services for disabled children and disabled adults. There is an application process involved. The disabled person must also be reasonably expected to become more employable as a result of some rehabilitation services. The purpose of these programs is to attempt to rehabilitate and to gain employment. Vocational rehabilitation services include medical and therapeutic services and physical and can include necessary surgeries, hospitalizations, prosthetic and assisted devices, eyeglasses, special services, such as transportation or dialysis, diagnosis and treatment for mental and emotional disorders, physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech or hearing therapy. They can also provide communication services, vocational training, financial support and transportation for those enrolled in the program.

Application for Brain Injury Fund Assistance - Funding assistance is limited to legal Delaware residents with a qualifying, medically documented traumatic brain injury (TBI) who would benefit from covered services which are otherwise not available to residents through other federal, state, or private healthcare programs.

Federal Benefits & Programs

SOCIAL SECURITY: Social Security provides a monthly income for eligible older persons and persons with disabilities. Call the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.

SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME (SSI): SSI supplements Social Security payments for individuals who have certain income and asset levels. SSI is administered by the Social Security Administration. Call (800) 772-1213. SSI helps people with disabilities who have little or no income. It provides cash to help pay for food, clothing and a place to live. It is a federal government program, and you can find out if you are eligible for SSI by completing an online screening tool in just a few minutes. To apply for SSI benefits, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213 to make an appointment for help applying for benefits, either on the phone or at a local Social Security office. Without an appointment, you may have a long wait to be helped.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) pays benefits to people who worked and paid into Social Security before a disabling injury, or to the person's spouse or children. SSDI pays cash to those who meet the eligibility requirements and are unable to work for a year or longer because of a disability.

You can apply for online or call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213 to make an appointment for help applying for benefits, either on the phone or at a local Social Security office. Without an appointment, you may have a long wait to be helped. Be sure to get a list of the information you will need to complete the application, so you can do it in one visit.

The Government Benefits website offers a totally free, easy-to-use and completely confidential way to find out government benefit programs.

HILL-BURTON FUNDS are available when a hospital receives construction funds from the federal government. Any hospital that received Hill-Burton funds are required by law to provide some services to people who cannot afford to pay for their hospitalization. For more information on hospitals covered by the Hill-Burton Act, call (800) 638-0742.

VETERANS BENEFITS: Eligible veterans and their dependents may receive treatment at Delaware’s Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center. Treatment for non-service connected conditions may be available based on the veteran’s financial need. The VA also has a special brain injury program. Call (800) 827-1000.

MEDICARE is a federal health insurance program for individuals who receive Social Security benefits. Eligible individuals include older people, people with permanent kidney failure, and persons with disabilities under the age of 65 who meet requirements. To learn more call 1-800-MEDICARE.

PRESCRIPTION DRUGS: Prescription drug coverage is available through Medicare Part D.

Other Financial Assistance

The NeedyMeds website provides information on prescription assistance, free or low-cost sliding scale clinics, medical transportation, and additional resources to help lower costs.

Contacting a brain injury specialist at the National Brain Injury Information Center is a great place to find information. Call (800) 444-6443

PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE: If you have private health insurance, contact your insurance company to find out available services covered under your policy. Ask your doctor or other health care provider for help with advocating for your medical needs with your insurance company.

PRIVATE FUNDS: Don’t forget to check available private funds to help pay medical bills. There are many not-for-profit organizations, foundations, community groups, religious organizations, and even fundraising events that may help you obtain financial assistance after a brain injury. Help with medical costs, low-cost housing, bills, transportation, education, nutrition, and job training may also be available. Services vary widely and opportunities often have special eligibility requirements.

FUND RAISING SUPPORT: Some families choose to contact local newspaper, radio and television stations to request assistance with sharing information on their survivor’s situation. These types of requests usually request monetary donations toward medical or equipment costs. (E.g. Catholic Charities, Salvation Army and many others.

  • Help Hope Live provides support specifically for catastrophic injury campaigns.
  • Go Fund Me enables friends and family to set up a personal fundraising campaign to cover medical expenses